Well it is officially October, the Scariest Month of the entire year and one of my personal favorites!!! Well who in thier right mind wouldn't love this time of year the leaves change color, it gets dark a bit earlyer, the air is crisp, there is a growing chill in the air and best of all Halloween awaits us at the end of the month.
To get into the spirit of things Certain channels start running horror movies and monster movies to make people be a little more cautious of entering the darkness fearful if the nightmarish beasts that maybe there lurking and waiting for another victim to devour. Lots of good shows are out there.
But for me the ultimate halloween spook show is, was and always will be Lost tapes. Yeah, yeah, yeah Lots of you will say that everything in these shows isn't real that things like Monsters, ghosts, and demons don't exist. For the most part yes you are right these shows are all fake and a big steaming load. But come on if these things weren't real or at the least inspired by real things we didn't understand at the time then why do they still come up sometimes in conversations? Why do people claim to have encounters with them. If we are so smart and advanced now they should fade away. But they don't they remain and people continue to tell the stories because they like a good scare. Lost tapes gave me that scare I was looking for because it asked the question what if these things are real and out there waiting for us, living amongst us in the wilds that there still are in the world.
The series ran for 3 seasons "Personally I wish for a 4th season the other 3 are good but well you can only get into the older episodes so much. Thank goodness for Youtube people who keep the show alive." And in that time I honestly found some episodes that scared me, truely scared me. Not very many mind you but they are still good to get the heart pumping with jump scares. So I made a list of the 13 scariest and best episodes from the series This is MY own opinion on them and how they rank so if yours isn't here I am sorry just some episodes didn't really scare me or I thought were kind of stupid sounding still I hope I picked some good ones.
First though I have an honerable mention, it didn't make it into the list but it at least keeps you interested.
Mothman, from season 1. : It was a good episode, but what keeps it out is well its not really a current lost tape for the season. It was set back when the silver bridge collapsed which is when the Mothman was seen, maybe if they had gone a different route with the episode and made it more modernized it could of made it on to the list but I didn't really get even a good spook from the Mothman.
Here are my top 13 episodes though.
13. Dover demon, from season 2 : This episode is towards the bottom of the bin in my mind because of how cheap the production team got just flat out showing the demon in one certain seane and then not even trying to make it look somewhat like what the legends say it looked like it was more like a grey alien. Granted no one who believes the legend knows what the Dover demon really was perhaps it was an Alien, "If the story is true. I don't really believe that this one was even possible." Still the plot line is some what good, there is blood everywhere and no one survives. Weather or not the demon ate them, just flat out killed them or what not is never revealed. If you liked this episode power to you, it is sadly one of my lesser ones.
12. Bigfoot, from season 1: This one makes it onto the list purely by the subject matter you cannot go even to the store with out running into someone who says that they know someone else who has seen the supposed Creature or seen it themselves. Bigfoot is here and he is here to stay. Sadly the creature is well barely even a threat in this episode you hear howls, and see photos the park ranger too of the beast but well the bigger threat is of the poacher stalking her. This shows that if Bigfoot is real perhaps, he isn't as violent as some of his relatives. It does kill the Poacher though so..... I don't know, further up in the list though you will see that another version of Bigfoot is a tad more dangerous.
11. Chupacabra, from season 1: This episode is a tinsy bit scary because you have to look at it from the perspective of a young child picture seeing your parents killed by something that many say doesn't exist, and you yourself are the only survivor. The sound effect of the growls and hisses are also different sounding sort of like how the howls for Bigfoot are they don't really sound like anything you would hear coming from a living animal of today or perhaps of this planet. The fact that all you really see of the creature in question too are its heat signature which showed that it was fairly large, and its glowing green eyes were nice touches to the eerieness factor which season 1 had.
10. Devil dragon, from season 1: This episode is in the top 10 because it is actaully dealing with an animal that existed and as some believe still could in Australlia. The thing that sold this to me scare wise is when the character, is showing us how to trap a small animal he is bitten by the devil dragon, or Megalania, and it begins to stalk him just like how living komodos do thier prey. The growls are well placed out and the fact that he is sick from its saliva is also an added worry for him too. As it draw the episode to a close you get close ups of his face, he is drenched in sweat he is panting in fear and desperation and you know that thing is just getting closer and closer as it hunts him through the dark forests. When he screams for it to leave him alone you can feel the terror in his voice, picture being stalked and hunted for real by a bear or lion or any kind of predator and not having any real way to fight back. Not a good feeling.
9. Hellhound, from season 1: I wanted to put this episode up higher on the list I really did but other episodes kept it from earning that spot. The Hellhound is scary because it is the first time that we see the monster in the series in full view, granted it is just a rotwhiller with red contacts "I don't know how they did the red eyes." Still it is a good risk they took. The hellhound also deals with dark magic and the Underworld so the episode taking place in a graveyard was a good location by the creators. when ever it appears and you see the dog you get the vibe of from the Hound of the baskervilles. Which is also one of my favorite books. An added creepiness factor is that the new girl who vanishes with the dog was never really listed at the kids school or even alive prompting she was a ghost perhaps, and that the Hellhound seems more tame around her.
8. Lizardman, from season 2: This is where you start to see a lot more of the monsters the in season one, this was scary because all you get are quick 3 or 5 second glimpses of most of them and your mind begins to try to peace together what it was exactly what you saw. The mutilated and eaten animal bodies scattered about add in a threatening aura to the dark sewer tunnels and the darkness plus splashing footsteps of the Lizardman add to the feeling of dispare. This is also one of the few episodes where the monster is killed at the end which adds a feeling of triumph over the beast that was stalking them.
7. Southern sasquatch from season 2: Unlike Bigfoot this thing is flat out Violent, it isn't a watchful guardian like Bigfoot was to the park ranger it was an agressive territorial predator that flat out tore the hunters in this episode to bits. Granted they were in its home and attacked it first. The large foot print, the bloody vest of the one hunter, and the sudden attack by the creature all work perfectly to create an aura of danger and terror. Plus at the end when the one hunter reaches the tree stand where he is sure he will be safe and the ladder is torn down you can just see a troll face there. "Sorry! You're going to die now!!" That is what I think when ever I see this episode.
6. Death Crawler from season 2. Centipedes are one of the few insects I am not creeped out by Infact I think centipedes are pretty cool, but Not these things these are like centipedes that were the size of boa constrictors with super toxic venom and incredible speed. Plus the fact that they can climb over whatever they want and are the top predators on the island in this episode also makes it quite clear that this was an Island you wanted to stir far away from. The scariest parts are when you see them crawling all over the tent that the couple are staying in and when you just think they are safe and sound then you hear that all too familier hissing sound, another troll face belonged right there at that point.
5. Werewolf from season 2. As much as I love werewolves in films, tv shows, and games I couldn't give this episode the top spot. But it is scary in that you are waiting to see the wolf, to come right out in a beastly rage and tear everything up into a bloody mess but also for the fact that the person who is believed to be the monster is a convicted fellon. The house is dark and the pace is slow and tension building then you get a huge smack in the face when you see him with his throat torn out and dead on the stairs. I was not expecting that honestly then when the Girl, the young woman that the Fellon picked up at the bar is revealed to be the monster you just feel your heart skip a beat because you honestly didn't see this coming! Sadly you don't see her in her transformed state for more then a split 1000th of a second in the credits and even then its a bit of a let down because she is still more human then wolf.
4. Zombies from season 3. This is one of the only season 3 entry on the list because well it makes you think what would our government do if there was a small but contained group of Zombies out there somewhere in the world, send someone in to deal with it or let it grow out of control? The answer is up to you. The foreboding aura of the house, the setting of it being in Louisiana which has an eerie feel because of the swamps and legends from down there make this a good setting but more then anything else it is how the zombies, while not rotten and what you would expect are just slow and threateningly surrounding the Enigma agents it makes you really feel like there are freaking real Zombies after them. When I first learned that this would be the starter for season 3 I was kind of pissed because it felt like Animal planet was grasping at straws now, I am very glad to say I was wrong and was throughly spooked and entertained.
3. Jersey devil from season 2. Now we are getting into the really spooky ones because they make use of several good horror movie ideas and put them to use. The way the father's hat is found bloodied, the images painted on the walls of the abandoned house, the warnings of "It lives, beware," and what not invoke the notion that something is out there and is not happy with trespassers out in its forest. The best parts though are when the devil's face is seen on camera It really is a convincing mask and a good booster to the series. The scariest and most Horror movie like part though is after the Jersey devil kills the dog and has kicked the door in to the house. the sisters are hiding in the closet, waiting and hoping to get free or that the monster will leave but then the worst thing could of happened The freaking Cell phone rings and gives them away!!! I was jumping one minute then laughing like crazy the next, but thier mama had to come and scare the thing off and save them. I had to put this one close to the top and most people I talk to who like Lost tapes agree Jersey devil was one of the best.
2. Wendigo, american cannibal from season 3. The only other episode from season 3 that scared me, "Strigoi vampire, Yeti, Devil Monkey, and Poltergeist were good, but well missing something that I cannot put my finger on. but it keeps them off the list." This episode has to have the absolute highest kill count in the series everyone is dead, no survivors what so ever at least 7 or if you count the guy who became the wendigo too 8 people dead. "Not sure if he counts or not because the wendigo is him so is he dead in a sense???" That isn't important though because the good things about this episode far out weigh the mistakes. the calls of the monster, the feeling of eyes watching the rescue team from all angles in the forest. You knew people were going to die when ever they found the Wendigo's death shrine with all the peices it took from its victims. Plus the costume is very well made and convincing too me at least. But if not for one other episode this would be the scariest episode of Lost tapes, there is one other though that is the best and most blood chilling of them all in my mind.
1. Vampire from season 2. This episode is in a league all its own to me I still get goose bumps from it and it is far better then the Strigoi one in season 3, not to say Strigoi is bad it's not bad at all but this one plays on multiple fears we all have. Be them childhood fears of the monster in the basement or the closet, or of moving to an old spooky run down house. The way the Vampires look is impressive too this isn't Dracula, or Edward from twilight. "Ugh not vampires at all, Vampires DO NOT sparkle end of story, Period!" infact they are not even that Humanoid at all they are something else. But the seanes where one of them is coming out of the little boy's closet at night, the reveal in the basement on camera, the murder of the exterminator and even the chase up stairs and the bedroom defeat the monster seanes all make the Vampire episode the best of the series to me. Had they ended it here Lost tapes would of been at a high note I like to hope.
Those are my top 13 lost tapes episodes, what do you say is there an episode you liked best or scared you best? Think we will ever get a 4th season? Probably not but we can hope and wish though still maybe someday we will.